- 2 large Portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil (with 1 tbsp. flax seed oil, op.)
- 1 1/2 tbsp. Nama Shoyu (or Bragg’s Liquid Aminos – Linda’s note)
- 2 tsp. cumin powder
- 2 tsp. cardamom powder (or tarragon flakes)
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 Ume plum, seeded and mashed
1) Mix all ingredients, except the mushrooms in a bowl and blend well.
2) Slice the mushrooms into thin slices and dip each mushroom slice into the sauce, covering both sides. Let marinate 20 minutes while you prepare the rest of the recipe.
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, sliced thin
- 1 cup broccoli, chopped small (or you could substitute other vegetable such as asparagus, edible-podded peas, zucchini, etc. or use a combination of vegetables)
- 1/2 cup scallions, finely chopped
- 1 clove pressed garlic
3) Mix all the vegetables in a bowl. Drain the marinade from the mushrooms and toss it with the vegetables.
4) Prepare Basic Cheeze recipe.
5) Put together your Herb-Encrusted Mushroom Steak by first placing some marinated mushrooms on a plate, top with the vegetables and then spread a few spoons of the Cheeze on top. Mmm good.
Serves 2-4. Keeps for 2 days in the refrigerator.
Variations: Layer the ingredients into a romaine lettuce leaf, Swiss chard leaf, cabbage leaf cup or bok choy leaf. Or you could serve it on Pizza Crust bread. The recipe could also be made without the Cheeze.