by Linda Wooliever
So as I wrote above, my CSA delivered YUMMY kale and cabbage. Time to make kale slaw!
- 2 heads kale, (lacinato, russian – it really doesn’t matter) washed, destemmed & chopped
- 1 head green cabbage, washed and chopped
- 1-2 tsp Celtic sea salt
1) In a very large bowl or on a large cutting board, add salt to the chopped kale and cabbage. With your hands, massage the salt into the greens/cabbage to soften them up a bit. They will “cook down” in size after several minutes of massaging. Transfer to a colander and rinse out excess salt. Then put massaged greens/cabbage in a bowl and set aside.
2) Prepare Pine Nut-Date-Flax Slaw Dressing.
3) Add as much of the dressing to the greens/cabbage that you’d like to use and stir to mix them all together. The amount of dressing depends on how big of a bowl of greens you have. You want it to be similar to a cole slaw although it won’t be runny. It will be smooth and creamy and very very delicious.
Optional additions: spiral sliced carrots, chopped sungold or other cherry tomatoes, sprouted pea shoots. YUM!
We ate this for dinner tonight and it was just what the doctor ordered: A large, local bucket o’ kale slaw! I slapped the bucket to my ears and I munched away. DELICIOUS.