are a real chocolate treat. These raw nibs are the
original chocolate chip. Crunchy, flavorful, and packed with powerful
nutrients and natural mood lifters. Try them straight, or sweeten with
bananas and dates for
a truly healthy chocolate. Perfect for mixing into smoothies or trail
mixes. The possibilities are endless for this crunchy antioxidant pick
Ultimate SuperFoods Cacao
Our Cacao is the native-born heirloom Ecuadorian species named
Arriba Nacional-Fino de Aroma. This variety of Cacao is considered
worldwide to have the finest floral aroma and flavor profile, as well
as, the highest amount of bioavailable nutrients and minerals. One of
Ultimate SuperFoods' key concerns in preserving this species is
promoting the cultivation of this incredibly fragrant heirloom cacao
variety that is unaltered from its natural integrity. Like so many other
natural foods, this heirloom species has been hybridized by many
growers to increase yield and particular characteristics. However,
Ultimate SuperFoods believes that hybridization greatly compromises
quality, so we only use the Arriba Nacional-Fino de Aroma heirloom
We have developed deep-seated relationships with highly regarded farmers
and continue to scour the planet to bring our customers the highest
quality exotic superfood products. Our farmers and Co-ops in Ecuador
employ meticulous organic farming methods, advanced sustainable
technology, and the practical knowledge of Old and New World
chocolatiers to present you with the finest cacao products. Organic
chocolate quality starts with healthy soil and exclusive use of the
Arriba Nacional variety, never the hybridized CCN51, which many other
companies are selling as the "Arriba Nacional" variety. The CCN51 hybrid
may be a pretty bean, but beauty is only skin deep as it lacks the
flavor and unique properties of the Arriba Nacional because of its deep
hybridization. We support our farmers' work of producing healthy, high
quality cacao with support from organic agronomists. Our farmers nurture
the trees, hand pick the cacao pods, and separate the beans for
fermenting. After a carefully controlled fermentation process, the cacao
beans are sun dried. Unfortunately, many companies have been known to
dry their beans in ovens in order to reduce their costs. After this
detrimental process, you end up with beans that incur a disappointing
"acid flavor" that most consumers confuse with a "fermented" type
- Our raw Cacao beans are hand peeled, never machine processed.
- Ultimate Superfoods Raw Cacao retains its natural qualities through a sun drying process, opposed to heating or roasting.
- Cacao Powder: the fat content/cacao butter in our powder is from
22-26% and due to the extra fat carries fuller flavor, less oxidation
and more nutritional benefit.
- Other cacao powders on the market are superheated to extract the
most fat out of the liqueur for cacao butter, so you're left with cacao
powder that has about 7-10% fat.
- Other cacao powders are heated to a minimum of 280 degrees plus tons of oxidizing pressure.
- Cacao contains Theobromine a weak but effective stimulant
andincludes substances that are chemically and pharmacologically related
to the brain lipids anandamide. The word anandamide is derived from
ananda, Sanskrit for 'bliss'. These N-acylethanolamines in cacao target
the endogenous cannabinoid system of the brain, slightly mimicking the
psychotropic effects caused by plant-derived cannabinoid drugs either
directly (by activating cannabinoid receptors) or indirectly (by
increasing anandamide levels in the brain).
Our organic cacao is bulk sizes so select the size that works for you.
- Our Cacao is the heirloom Ecuadorian variety named Arriba
Nacional-Fino de Aroma. This variety of Cacao is considered worldwide to
have the finest floral aroma and flavor profile, as well as, the
highest amount of bioavailable nutrients and minerals.
- Our raw Cacao Beans are hand peeled, never machine processed.
- Cacao retains its natural qualities through a sun drying process, opposed to heating or roasting.
- Cacao contains: Antioxidants, because of its high polyphenol content. Theobromine, a weak but effective stimulant; Anandamide, inducing a pleasant state of mind; Phenylethylamine (PEA) is the chemical found know to inspire happiness, clear mindedness, focus, and wakefulness.
- Cacao Powder: Fuller-flavor, higher fat content cacao powder that is 22-26% compared to 7-10%.
- Uses: Cacao butter and cacao powder: add to smoothies and baking recipes to enhance flavor and nutritional benefits; Cacao Beans and Nibs: grind up and add to raw milk and smoothies; eat by the handful with agave nectar.
This product was added to our catalog on Thursday 15 January, 2009.