day 1 of a juice fast - doing this again. I was expecting to go to a spa-like place beginning tomorrow (3/17) and be taken care of and drink juices and eat sprouts for a couple/few weeks. Those plans didn't pan out (dammit) so I decided to do a juice fast for a few days anyway. It won't be the same, but it will be fine.
I woke up this morning and had a cup of tea. I decided to have smooth move tea for some dumbass reason.
My first juice was:
2 stalks celery
2 small beets
1 bunch kale
this made about 32 oz veggie juice. it wasn't super sweet but it was good.
I had some water later in the afternoon.
somewhere around 3 I was hungry again so I made a big big juice of
1 bunch kale
1 stalk celery
I kept the pineapple and oranges separate - the color was beautiful. the juicer that I use is more like a smoothie in a way - pulpy and yummy. It makes a lot of juice come out. I added some of the fruit juice with the greens and drank it down and then feasted on the pineapple and orange juice. SOOOOO yummy.
I read a bit and then took a nap with the dogs. Very sweet. It was cold in the house though so I was grateful for 2 warm dogs to curl up with.
Woke up, took the dogs out for a walk, fed them their dinner and then made myself a big juice. I liked that pineapple orange so much that I decided to have it for dinner. This time:
2 stalks celery
4-5 oz sunflower sprouts
This time I put the whole thing together. It made about 40 oz of juice. DELICIOUS. Easy to drink.
So now the time is 8 pm and I'm loving feeling full but not stuffed and gross feeling. Day one was a good day. Let's hope I have as much of a good day tomorrow. :-)
I'm looking forward to getting my produce delivery today. I'm getting kiwi and black cherries and pears and a whole bunch of fruits. It will be yummy to have them. When I was in the shower yesterday, I thought about CHERRIES and decided to order a whole bunch of fruit I don't eat a lot of. It's been nice to juice oranges and peaches. I'm glad my juicer will do the pulpier fruits. These things keep me looking forward to juicing and it also helps me to drink all my colors. OK, I'm about to do a bit of exercising. And then off to the cafe. oh p.s. I'm 4 lbs lighter today. YAY!
- Firstly, I've put on a few pounds again and that's reason enough for me to jump start a change. If I think about it, I have been snacking more and eating higher fat snacks like nuts and dehydrated cauliflower snacks that I make for the cafe.
- I also wanted to change how I was eating a bit. Typically I have a huge smoothie in the morning that fills me up for hours and hours. I don't typically get hungry again until 4 pm. I thought if I had a juice in the morning and then did the bigger smoothie in the afternoon, it would be better for my digestion. I also want to do smaller dinners. When I'm at the cafe, I put other things before me (something typical that I find myself doing, I admit) so I will skip lunch a lot and then by the time dinner comes, I'm pretty hungry so I pile on the veggies and rice and beans. The kids are always looking for some dessert afterwards and I haven't been saying "No" to that either (well sometimes.) It's not a huge dessert but still, I don't need it to thrive or survive so it's really just a bad habit. So I was feeling in a rut, so to speak.
- But the main reason, for me, would be to help with the ongoing inflammation I've had now for about 10 years. Things are a whole lot better for me than they were and I attribute that to my eating and my lifestyle. I still have some residual stuff going on, though, that I'd like to give my body the chance to do what it needs to do to release and heal it. With juicing, it's like a tiny break on the body. The body is getting fuel and nutrients in good concentrations and without the fiber and without needing to spend lots of time break things down and digesting. So it can put more attention on healing what needs to be healed.
It was a tasty juice and the dominant flavor was grapefruit. I thought after making the juice that I might not have enough stuff to last the whole day (what if we are super hungry!!?) but the thought subsided after I visited my garden and the cafe. I pulled out various fruits and veggies and came back home with them. All is again well in the world.I went to the doctor this morning after the juice so it was a sort of rushed morning for me. It's so weird for me to go to the doctor. I'm not used to the various questions and insurance questions. They are also not used to me saying that I take superfoods instead of vitamins, etc. So it makes for an interesting experience all the way around. When I got home with all my fruits/veggies for the next day and a half or more, the thought popped in of how nice it would be to have the whole week off to do this. Part of the challenge will be to incorporate juicing in the middle of the day. Not so much of a challenge when you have a raw food cafe with a juicer, but already today when I stopped by the cafe to pick up fruit, my first inclination was to grab some nuts because my stomach was growling. the juice I made for lunch was a lot bigger. Here's what I did: 1 small bunch local collards 1 bunch local kale (lacinato) 5 small oranges 1 red bell pepper 1 big piece of ginger This made 2 mason jars full of a very spicy green juice. Ginger dominated the flavor here. It is yummy. (I'm still drinking it as of this writing.) I'm using the Hurom slow juicer. It's got some pluses and minuses. I have a Breville at the cafe and I like that a lot. It's super easy to use and clean up is good. With the Hurom, you have to cut things up small so it takes longer to juice. The good news, though, is that you can juice pulpy things like oranges and strawberries, etc. So I'm not complaining at all!
- drink 4-6 juices a day that are around 16 oz each.
- MAKE SURE to drink all your colors.
- Vary greens and get in all the colors each day for fruit and veggies.
- Something I heard a long time ago stuck with me: fruits are the cleansers and greens are the healers so eat them both often and vary them for good health.
- If at any time there is a desire for crunching, then eat a juicy crunchy apple but mostly that won't happen on such a short term fast.